Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Starting to brain storm.. artist statement.. thoughts... This is so hard at 12pm.


Artist Statement

I find myself more and more often wanting to talk to people about the everydayness of life that makes you and I feel isolated from others. Are you dealing with boredom? Are you dealing with rejection? Are you dealing with irritation? Guilt? And so on. I want to be able to relate to people so that when they look at a photograph, they are looking at therapy. I don’t really want to impress anyone. What the hell does that do for them? And what does it do for me? Ego boosts never last, and when you or I have landed on earth after having one, we only need more. It’s a drug.

This past semester has been a tug of war. I realized that I wanted both to act in my photographs but also to document other people in their natural environments. I want to go to your house, get to know you, drink some coffee, and take some pictures! Well this direction hasn’t come to fruition yet, and until it does, I’m going to have to deal with looking at me for a while longer.

I love working with a generic problem in a specific way. 

This next work is going to be talking about being embarrassed. 

I did a shoot of myself outside in a towel looking as if I had just gotten out of the shower. I play a scene where I realize that I am in public and I don’t know what to do, but try to cover myself up. When I find out that no one really is looking to begin with, I forget that I am in such attire and once again, find beauty in life.

I am going to take these images of me, create cutouts and then actually photograph them in a lively public context. Perhaps during rush hour...

I’ve always struggled with this notion that people are watching me (which is logically not true if everyone were thinking that). So to get over it, I make light of the situation. 

Sincerely,
Sig

No comments:

Post a Comment